Make sure to check out and download the new TRAE THA TRUTH mixtape, “BLACK PRINT” here
Here are the looks on Meek’s new video, With Trey Songz “FACE DOWN”
Here are the looks on some new ODD FUTRE gear!
Posts Tagged ‘ trey songz ’
NICKI GOES DOUBLE PLATINUM, SHOOTS NEW VIDEOS
Nicki Minaj recently announced to fans on Twitter that her debut album, Pink Friday, has gone double platinum. The disc has amassed sales over 2.2-million copies since being released. In addition, the fem-cee spilled that the videos to her new singles, “Roman in Moscow” and “Stupid Hoe,” have already been shot and will be released in two weeks. The songs are lifted from her highly anticipated sophomore effort, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, which is scheduled for a February 14th release.
Do you think she’ll be able to re-do her success with her next LP?
TREY SONGZ ANNOUNCES ANTICIPATION 2OUR
According to Rap-Up.com, Trey Songz has revealed the dates for his upcoming outing, which is being dubbed the Anticipation 2our. The singer’s trek will begin on February 10th in Louisville, Kentucky and will travel through Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Oakland. While you can purchase passes through TreySongz.com, you can also expect more dates to be announced soon.
In related news, the crooner is working on his upcoming album, Chapter V.
Feb. 10 – Louisville, KY – Palace Theatre
Feb. 11 – Chicago, IL – Auditorium Theatre
Feb. 17 – Los Angeles, CA – Nokia Theatre
Feb. 18 – Las Vegas, NV – Pearl Concert Theater at Palms Casino
Feb. 19 – Oakland, CA – Paramount Theatre
B.O.B. ANNOUNCES LAUNCH DATE FOR STRANGE CLOUDS
According to his official Twitter page, B.o.B has announced the launch date for his highly anticipated sophomore release, Strange Clouds. He tweeted that fans can expect his second studio effort to arrive on March 13th. He wrote, “I been havin fun doing mixtapes and gettin back to my Eastside roots…. but I really can’t wait til the album … #StrangeClouds.” In related news, the Grand Hustle artist posted a Ustream studio session with Waka Flocka Flame.
CHRISTINA MILIAN OPENS UP ABOUT DIVORCING THE DREAM
During an interview with Yahoo!, Christina Milian gave new insight as to what caused her to file for divorce from her ex-husband, The Dream. The singer stated, “A lot of men would say, ‘I can’t believe a man would cheat on Christina’ but it happens.” She added, “Beauty has nothing to do with it. I know I’m a really good wife. I know I’m a really good girlfriend. I know we’re supposed to take the blame for certain things but I gotta say I’m pretty good at all that stuff.” As far as what she’s learned from her failed marriage, Milian stated, “Sometimes we are just so carried away with love and we might even mistake some things like lust for love.” In related news, Christina will serve as the digital correspondent for the new season of The Voice.
UPDATE ON USHER’S CUSTODY BATTLE
We previously reported Usher was being accused of not being a good father by his ex-wife, Tameka Raymond. After his ex made a request to alter their joint custody agreement, TMZ reports that the crooner filed a counter suit and claims Tameka’s allegations are false. The former couple will hash out their issues in court on February 27th.
Tameka claimed that Usher failed to get permission to travel with the kids out of state and she wants more child support.
RICK ROSS READIES NEW MIXTAPE
Now that Rick Ross has his health in check, the rapper has completed a new mixtape that will be released this week. Rozay announced that the project, titled Rich Forever, which is hosted by DJ Scream and Shaheem Reid, will be released on Friday, January 6th at 3:05 PM Eastern. The material will help tide fans over until his upcoming fifth album, God Forgives, I Don’t, arrives later this year.
The project is Rick’s follow-up to Ashes to Ashes and The Albert Anastasia EP.
WALE DID SOUL SEARCHING TO MAKE AMBITION
Hands down, one of our favorite albums of 2011 was Wale’s Ambition. During an interview with the Washington Post, the Maybach Music Group rapper said, “I’m about to bring D.C. a gold album in 2012” and hopes to sell over 500-thousand copies by “early April.”
What did you think of his album?
UPCOMING HIP HOP ALBUMS FOR THIS YEAR!
Now that 2012 is underway, we wanted to give hip hop heads a list of upcoming albums that they should keep an eye on. This year, you’ll be able to check out Nicki Minaj’s Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded and T.I.’s much talked about effort, Trouble Man. Here’s what other projects coming soon:
January 17, 2012
Juvenile – Rejuvenation
January 30, 2012
Kid Cudi x Dot Da Genius – W Z R D
February 14, 2012
Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
February 21, 2012
Monica – New Life
February 28, 2012
Ja Rule – Pain Is Love 2
March 13, 2012
B.o.B. – Strange Clouds
T.I. – Trouble Man
Chris Brown – Fortune
Cam’Ron – Untitled
KEYSHIA COLE WORKING ON NEW ALBUM
Keyshia Cole is gearing up for the release of her fifth studio album, Woman to Woman. While it’s unknown when the disc will be released, the singer recently tweeted, “Just sat in the car and wrote a song, old school style. Used to come up wit good stuff in my car. And I just did again. My team loved it.” We’ll keep you posted.
KEYSHIA COLE’S MOM PREPS MEMOIR ON DRUIG ADDICTION
According to SingersRoom.com, Keyshia Cole’s mom, Frankie Lons, is reportedly working on a memoir called Best Years I Never Had. Cole’s mother, who has appeared on VH1′s Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, delves into her years battling drug addiction, prostitution and family struggles. The Best Years I Never Had is scheduled to go on sale on January 20th.
MOBB DEEP TALKS RICK ROSS COLLABO
Mobb Deep are preparing to drop their Black Cocaine this month, followed by their ninth, self-titled album at the top of 2012. Meanwhile, Prodigy and Havoc are looking to expand their horizons with a series of new collaborations, including one with Rick Ross. Prodigy recently told MTV News correspondent Sway Calloway that he has already reached out to Ross for a feature. After wrapping up a three-year prison stint for weapons possession in March, Prodigy said he headed directly to G-Unit’s New York City offices, where he met with 50 Cent – who signed the group to G-Unit in 2005 – to discuss the collaboration. 50 Cent and Rick Ross have a notorious beef, which hit fever pitch in 2009 when Fif launched a full-scale attack against Rozay on his blog, ThisIs50.com. Prodigy didn’t talk specifics about his intended Rick Ross collaborations, but did confirm that fans could expect a Mobb Deep collaboration soon.
· Prodigy on a possible Rick Ross collaboration: “All that is in the works, man. We like Rick Ross. I’mma be honest: We come from an era where longevity and consistency is key, and in the beginning, I ain’t really see that in him. Then while I was locked up, he was dropping more and more music. I was like, ‘Damn, I’m starting to like this dude.’ That’s when I was like, ‘We need to holla at son and do some music with him.’”
TREY SONGZ DROPS TWO NEW TUNES
According to Rap-Up.com, Trey Songz dropped two new songs from his new mixtapes #Lemmeholdatbeat2 and Anticipation II, both out now. The crooner released “Boop” and “Sex Soundz,” which should keep fans happy until Songz releases a new album.
JAY-Z AND KANYE WEST KICK OFF WATCH THE THRONE TOUR!
Jay-Z and Kanye West kicked off their Watch The Throne Tour in Atlanta on Friday. The two-and-a-half hour show features the pair performing together and then doing mini-sets of their individual material. The Watch The Throne Tour rolls into Baltimore tonight and Philadelphia tomorrow.
FUTURE DOESN’T WANT TO BE A ONE-HIT WONDER
Future is super aware of haters thinking that his smash record, “Tony Montana,” will be his first and only hit single. The rapper said being a one-hit wonder is simply not an option. Fans can expect the Future’s debut album, called Pluto, at the top of 2012.
· Future recently finalized a contract with new Epic Records chairman, Antonio “L.A.” Reid.
DRAKE TALKS TAKING CONTROL, DOING IT HIS WAY
Drake has proven time and time again that he’s not going anywhere. And to make sure that his upcoming Take Care effort achieves the same success as his debut, Drizzy told MTV News he’s decided to be more hands-on with promoting, recording and taking control of his career. Fans can expect his sophomore effort to arrive on November 15th.
PHARRELL AND USHER LOVE BIEBER
According to Rap-Up.com, Pharrell has paid Justin Bieber a huge compliment. The Neptunes hit-maker told the young singer that he was impressed with his vocals on his new holiday album, Under the Mistletoe. The two were in the studio working on new music for his next studio album along with Usher, who added that Bieber’s voice is “incredible.” Hear for yourself as Bieber’s Under the Mistletoe album is out now. His next studio album, Believe, is due in early 2012 and is set to feature Drake and Kanye West.
CELEBRITIES REMEMBER AALIYAH
Tonight, BET will air their upcoming special, Aaliyah: One In A Million, to mark the 10th anniversary of the tragic passing of the R&B singer. It’s hard to believe that she was killed a decade ago in a plane crash. We caught up with famous faces like Johnny Gill, Jordin Sparks and others to see what they remember most about the singer who Timbaland and Missy Elliott affectionately called “Babygirl.” BET’s Aaliyah: One In A Million airs tonight (8/25) at 8 PM Eastern and Pacific.
· Ciara told Billboard.com, “[Aaliyah] was true to who she was and she didn’t seem to care about it. The core of her art to me is heavily, heavily urban based. When an artist’s music is so urban based, sometimes people like to take risks with artists like that. When you think about it, it really is pop, it really is cultural and that’s the one thing that I thought was cool about her music is that it never felt like she was trying to reach across or do anything more than just keep that cool, soulful, heavy urban core about it.”
· While promoting the collector’s edition of her debut album, songs in A minor, Alicia Keys told Rap-Up.com that “If I Ain’t Got You” actually “came together right after Aaliyah passed away. It was such a sad time and no one wanted to believe it. It just made everything crystal clear to me—what matters, and what doesn’t.”
· Ginuwine, who was a close friend of the late singer, told TheBoomBox.com that if she were still alive today, she’d be serious competition for Beyonce. The R&B crooner believes “Aaliyah was in a class by herself, if Aaliyah were still here, she and Beyonce would be neck and neck. Everyone should aspire to be someone great… Aaliyah was one of the great ones.”
LIL WAYNE ISSUES “HOW TO LOVE” VIDEO
According to his official website, Lil Wayne has leaked the visual to his latest single, “How to Love.” In what is sure to be argued as his best video yet, Weezy narrates the troubled life of woman who prostitutes herself and contracts HIV. He also shows how her pitfalls could have been avoided. Check it out now! In addition, Tha Carter IV arrives on Monday orrrrr if you found the leak, it’s out NOW!
KANYE, JAY-Z GO GOLD WITH WTT
Jay-Z and Kanye West’s collaborative effort, Watch The Throne, remained at the number one spot on the Billboard 200 chart. The disc also achieved gold status after selling an additional 177-thousand copies, bringing the total tally over 613k. Elsewhere on the chart, Hova’s wife, Beyonce, sits at the number nine spot with her latest album, 4. The singer’s project sold another 25-thousand units and has now amasses sales over 679-thousand.
· Could Game’s R.E.D. Album will de-throne Watch The Throne for the number one spot?
BEYONCE ANNOUNCES NEXT SINGLE OFF OF 4
According to All Access, Beyonce has revealed what the next single off her latest album, 4, will be. The singer has decided to shoot a video for fan favorite, “Party” featuring Andre 3000. The Kanye West-produced song will impact radio on Tuesday. Hmmm, perhaps this will be the tune that Beyonce will perform during the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Be sure to see when the show airs Sunday night at 9 PM Eastern!
· There are whisper that Bey has already shot the video for two other stand out tracks, “End of Time” and “Countdown.”
BEYONCE TO PERFORM AT VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS
MTV has just that announced Beyonce has joined the official line-up of performers at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. The singer, who is up for three nominations this year including Best Female Video and Best Choreography, joins previously confirmed acts including Adele, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Pitbull, Jeesie J and Young The Giant. In addition, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Zoe Saldana, Kevin Hart and Victoria Justice will appear on the show as presenters. Be sure to tune in to the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards when they air live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday at 9 PM (Live Eastern/Tape delayed Pacific).
TREY SONGZ WANTS TO DO JOINT LP WITH DRAKE
According to TheSource.com, Trey Songz has caught the joint-album itch and revealed who he’d like to do a collaborative LP with. The singer stated, “When thinking along the lines of that, Drake is the first person that comes to mind that I am that musically comfortable with in that space. He is a friend of mine as well, and I think we can pull something off like that could sound very authentic.” As far as when this idea will become a reality, Trigga won’t put a deadline on it. He explained, “It has to be something that you are definitely going into for music’s sake.”
· TIDBIT: In related news, Trey is working on the follow-up to last year’s Passion, Pain & Pleasure.
KANYE TO HEADLINE CALL OF DUTY XP
According to Rap-Up.com, Kanye West has agreed to perform during Activision’s first-ever Call of Duty XP celebration. The event will attract over six-thousand video gamers who are competing for one-million dollars in a Call Of Duty tournament. The rapper is expected to take stage and perform new and old hits. Tickets are available for 150 dollars with all proceeds going to the Call of Duty Endowment fund.
· The event takes place over Labor Day weekend in Los Angeles.
COULD WINEHOUSE HAVE BEEN ON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS?
Toxicology results have shown that Amy Winehouse had no illegal drugs in her system when she passed away on July 23rd. But what about prescription drugs? TMZ is reporting that a “source close to the family” refused to say yay or nay about those when asked. The site also reports that there are a number of drugs that you can get legally, such as OxyContin and morphine, which “contain the opiates similar to heroin.” We’ll keep you posted as we learn more.
· Toxicology did reveal that alcohol was present at the time of death.
WHO TOOK THE WINEHOUSE FOUNDATION NAME?
British paper The Sun caught up with the guy who registered the name Amy Winehouse Foundation before the fallen singer’s dad, Mitch, could. His name is Martin McCann, and the West Londoner is demanding an apology from Mitch for putting “pressure” on him to sell before he even considers making a deal. He also added that Amy’s family needs to “detach” themselves from emotion and begin to “think business.” Mitch said recently that he’s had to return donations for the foundation as he has nowhere to put the money since the name is taken.
ADELE KICKS BACK WITH BASKETBALL WIVES
So what does Adele do when her bandmates are busy partying while they’re out on the road and she doesn’t feel like going out? Well apparently, she watches Vh1. According to the L-A Times, the singer joked while on stage in Las Vegas earlier in the week that her band was “out all night getting drunk,” and that she was holed up in her room “like a true rock star” watching Basketball Wives. Apparently, Adele’s been keeping it pretty mellow since going back out on tour after having to cancel a slew of dates with throat problems earlier in the year.
Missy Elliott has scored 37 VMA nods and has won six awards.
Aerosmith have received 36 VMA nominations and won ten.
U2 have received 32 VMA nods and five wins.
R.E.M. have scored 31 VMA nods and seven wins.
The late Michael Jackson received 31 VMA nominations and won 11 Moon Men.
Bette Midler and Dan Aykroyd hosted the first VMA show in 1984.
WEST COAST GREATS PASS THE TORCH TO KENDRICK LAMAR
(AllHipHop News) After performing his hit song “Michael Jordan,” Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar was given the ultimate co-sign from the best of the best from the West Coast Hip-Hop community.
Snoop Dogg came out to perform his hit song, “Snoop Dogg” accompanied by Kurupt and Game.
“Aye n***a, you going bodyguard hard right now. Look I’m sitting up there with Dr. Dre up top,” Snoop said as he pointed to Dr. Dre in the crowd “and we watching Game pass the torch to you and you great at what you do man, not good at what you do, you great at what you do. I’ma say this, you got the torch my n***ga.”
Shortly afterwards, an emotional Kendrick Lamar was surrounded and embraced by the TDE family, Game, Snoop and Kurupt.
Game took the mic to explain to the fans the importance of Kendrick Lamar’s ascendance in the rap game.
Silencing the crowd’s cheer, Game took the microphone and had this to say.
“For yall mothaf**kas who aint here and for all you that got your camera phones that don’t understand, yall need to realize this is the motha f**kin ni**a,” Game shouted out to the crowd. “This is the motha f**kin west coast, and the torch has been passed! Aint no hate in Dr. Dre’s blood, he passed the torch to Snoop, Snoop passed it to Game, Pac restin in peace, so is Eazy, Jay Rock doin his damn this, Glasses, Nipsey. I hate when people say the West aint poppin. I told you it was coming.”
But it wasn’t just West Coast artists in the building that night, in video clips you can see Mos Def and Talib Kweli enjoying the festivities with the whole TDE family on the West coast.
Having released his newest album Section.80 earlier this summer to critical acclaim, Kendrick Lamar is embarking on a nation wide tour that will feature spot dates at New York’s S.O.B.’s on August 31st, The Loft in Atlanta August 27th, live with Wiz Khalifa and Chevy Woods on September 3rd in Eugene, Oregon and a date at Seattle’s Bumbershoot 2011 festival, that will also feature Big Boi and Wiz Khalifa September 3rd-6th.
TREY SONGZ REMIXES LIL WAYNE’S “SHE WILL”
Trey Songz flexes his lyrical ability on the revamped version of Lil Wayne’s newest single, “She Will.” Lately, the crooner has recorded rap verses on unofficial remixes to songs like Kreayshawn’s “Gucci Gucci” and Drake’s “Headlines.” In related news, Trey is currently working on his upcoming fifth studio album, titled Chapter 5. Head over to Rap-Up.com to preview the song now!
GAME LEAKS BONUS TRACK OFF R.E.D ALBUM
According to his official fansite, Game recently unleashed a bonus track called “Basic Bitch,” which is off his long-awaited R.E.D. Album. Be sure to get your copy when the follow-up to 2008’s LAX arrives tomorrow (8/23).
DIGGY, MINDLESS BEHAVIOR READY SCREAM TOUR
We’ve just learned which artists will be a part of the newest series of the Scream Tour. The annual outing, which started over a decade ago, has pumped the careers of acts like Bow Wow, Chris Brown, Trey Songz and others. This year, the trek is being dubbed Scream Tour: The Next Generation (NXG) and it will include Mindless Behavior, Diggy and The New Boyz as well as new acts like Jacob Latimore, Hamilton Park and The OMG Girlz. The 20-city tour begins on September 30th in Augusta, Georgia and wraps on November 20th in Richmond, Virginia.
· General tickets go on sale for select markets on August 27th.
· Tour information will be available at ScreamTour.com or Ticketmaster.com.
JANET JACKSON TO PERFORM IN SOUTH AFRICA
For the first time ever, Janet Jackson is scheduled to perform in South Africa during her Up Close And Personal World Tour. The singer has never performed in Johannesburg before and is looking forward to showcasing new and old songs. According to her official fansite, pre-sale tickets and VIP packages are on sale now. Visit JanetJackson.com/Tour to see when the icon will perform stateside in a city near you.
LADY GAGA LOVES BEYONCE
Lady Gaga and Beyonce may be running against one another at the MTV Video Music Awards this year, but the singers are actually old friends, having collaborated on Gaga’s VMA-winning “Telephone” in 2010. Gaga explained exactly why the two get along.
“She is such a beautiful person. And, I gotta tell you, I just adore her. And I had kinda lost faith a little bit in meeting artists in the business, and then I met Beyonce.”
Gaga and Beyonce are both up for the Best Female Video Moon man. Mother Monster is also up for Best Video with a Message, Best Choreography and Best Art Direction. Meanwhile, Beyonce is also up for Best Direction, Best Choreography and Best Cinematography. See who wins when the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards air live on Sunday at 9 PM Eastern.
WILL.I.AM CALLS JUSTIN BIEBER THE NEXT MICHAEL JACKSON
Justin Bieber recently logged studio time with Black Eyed Peas frontman and producer will.i.am. Will told MTV News U-K that Bieber could be “like Michael Jackson.” “Will.i.am was one of the last producers to work with the “King of Pop” before his death.
TROUBLE WITH THE AMY WINEHOUSE FOUNDATION
Mitch Winehouse’s dream to establish a charity called the Amy Winehouse Foundation to honor his late daughter has hit a potential snag. Mitch told the BBC that someone actually registered the name before he could, and that he’s constantly receiving donations for the charity, but doesn’t “know what to do with them.” Winehouse says that the foundation plans to “help all children – not just rehabilitation, not just substance abuse. It’s to help all children in need.”
PITBULL, JESSIE J TO PERFORM AT THE 2011 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS
MTV.com has just announced that Pitbull has joined the official line up of performers at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. The rapper, who will showcase “Give Me Everything” alongside Ne-Yo, joins previously confirmed acts including Adele, Lil Wayne, Chris Brown, Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars and Young The Giant. In addition, Jessie J will serve as the night’s house artist. Viewers can expect presenters to include Nicki Minaj, Taylor Lautner, Drake, Joe Jonas, Jared Leto, Kevin Hart, JB Smoove of HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, Jonah Hill, Rick Ross, Selena Gomez, Seth Rogen, Kim Kardashian and Odd Future. Be sure to tune in to the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards when they air live from the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday, August 28th at 9 PM (Live Eastern/Tape delayed Pacific).
· The news comes just weeks after we learned that Katy Perry leads the pack with an impressive nine nominations, including Best Female Video and Video of the Year for “Firework.”
· Additional performers, presenters and a host will be revealed at a later date.
· Fans can vote for specific categories like Best New Artist at VMA.MTV.com today.
· Fans can also vote for Best New Artist by texting BNA to 66333 on your wireless phone.
The Video Music Awards have been held in New York City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Miami.
The 2004 VMA show in Miami marked the first time in the 21-year history of the awards show that the VMAs were not held in New York City or in Los Angeles.
Madonna has performed at seven VMAs, four of which she has opened. This makes her the only artist to perform at the VMAs in the ‘80s, ‘90s and ‘00s.
Before U2’s live set in 2001, the Metropolitan Opera House lost power and delayed their performance.
Afeni Shakur (Tupac Shakur’s mother) and Voletta Wallace (Notorious B.I.G.’s mother) met for the first time at the Video Music Awards in 1999, when the two co-presented the award for Best Rap Video.
BEYONCE LOVES WHAT SHE DOES
Today is the day! Fans can finally check out Beyonce’s much-talked about album, 4. Many speculate that this could be the diva’s biggest opening debut and could potentially outshine 2008’s I Am…Sasha Fierce, which was number one on the Billboard 200 chart and sold 482-thousand units in its first week.
A TIMELINE OF BEYONCE’S JOURNEY TO THE TOP
· In 1990: At age 9, Beyonce Knowles formed the all girl pop group, Destiny’s Child, in Houston, Texas.
· In October 1997: Beyonce along with the rest of Destiny’s Child, got signed to Columbia Records and debuted their song, “Killing Time,” on the Men In Black soundtrack.
· In 1998: Destiny’s Child released their self-titled debut album, which sold three-million copies worldwide and went platinum. Singles released from Destiny’s Child include “No, No, No” and “With Me.”
· July 27th, 1999: Destiny’s Child released their second studio album, The Writing’s on the Wall. “Bills, Bills, Bills” was their first number one hit song on Billboard’s Hot 100. Other singles released: “Bug-A-Boo,” “Jumpin’, Jumpin’” and “Say My Name.”
· Mid 2000: Destiny’s Child became a trio with members Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.
· In 2001: Bey became the first African-American female artist and the second female artist to receive the ASCAP Pop Music Award for Pop Songwriter of the Year.
· July 26th, 2002: Beyonce made her big screen debut next to Mike Myers in the comedy Austin Powers in Goldmember, as the fierce “Foxxy Cleopatra.”
· In Late 2002: Bey and her then-boyfriend, rapper Jay-Z, teamed up for the smash hit, “‘03 Bonnie & Clyde.”
· In 2003: Beyonce co-starred with Cuba Gooding, Jr. in The Fighting Temptation, a romantic comedy.
· In June 2003: Knowles released her first solo album, Dangerously In Love, selling over six-million units worldwide and debuting in the top spot on the Billboard 200. The album was certified multi-platinum by the RIAA.
· February 8th, 2004: Bey won five GRAMMYS at the 2004 Grammy Awards for her solo work and also opened the show, performing a medley of songs with Prince.
· In 2005: Beyonce and her mother came together to start the fashion line, House of Deréon.
· February 10th, 2006: Bey appeared on the silver screen alongside Steve Martin in The Pink Panther, which debuted at number one, making 21.7-million dollars in its first week of release.
· In 2006: Knowles became the face for L’Oreal and Tommy Hilfiger.
· September 5th, 2006: Knowles released her second solo album, B’Day, which coincided with her 25th birthday. The album debuted in the top spot on the Billboard 200, making it Bey’s second consecutive album to debut at number one.
· December 25th, 2006: Bey showed off her acting chops starring as Deena Jones in Dreamgirls with Jennifer Hudson, Jamie Foxx and Eddie Murphy.
· In 2007: Bey received two Golden Globe nominations for her role in Dreamgirls. One for Best Actress and the other for Best Original Song.
· In 2008: Bey released her first two singles, “If I Were a Boy” and “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It),” off of her upcoming album, I AM…SASHA FIERCE.
· December 5th, 2008: The movie Cadillac Records came out. In it, Beyonce portrayed Etta James, alongside co-stars Adrien Brody and Jeffrey Wright.
· January 20th, 2009: Beyonce performed Etta James’ song, “At Last,” at President Barack Obama’s Neighborhood Inaugural Ball.
· In April 2009: Bey co-starred with Ali Larter and Idris Elba in the movie Obsessed.
· September 13th, 2009: Beyonce’s hit, “Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It),” received the top honor, Video of the Year, at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards.
· January 31st, 2010: Beyonce led the 52nd GRAMMY Awards with a whopping ten nominations, tying with Lauryn Hill for most GRAMMY nominations for a single female artist in one year. Bey took home a record breaking six GRAMMYS out of the ten she was nominated for.
· February 2010: Knowles joined Lady GaGa on her hit song, “Telephone,” which went straight to number one, making it the sixth number-one song for both Bey and GaGa.
YOUNG JEEZY SUED FOR MISSED CONCERT APPEARANCE
According to TMZ, Young Jeezy is facing a lawsuit for failing to show up for a scheduled concert appearance in the Virgin Islands. The rapper’s rep called and canceled just one day before the gig due to an undisclosed conflict. The promoters, Paid 4 Entertainment, are suing for 75-thousand in damages and fraud charges.
· The company also went out of their way to book a private jet for Jeezy.
CELEBS RESPOND TO KELLY’S BET PERFORMANCE
If you were on Twitter while the 2011 BET Awards ceremony was on, you’d know that Kelly Rowland experienced what many are calling her career-defining moment while showcasing “Motivation.” Here’s what her peers tweeted:
· Nelly: “SAY WAD SIS!!!!!!!@KELLYROWLANDTHAT’S how u shut sh#t down!!!!CRAZY performance!!!!”
· Taraji P. Henson: “@KELLYROWLAND YOU DID THAT annnnnnnnd #ThatIsAll. #SoProud#ShineOnMySis”
· Missy Elliott: “So u killed it tonight!!! So proud! Hands down best of the night! Xoxo hope all is well!”
· Brandy: “@Kellyrowland just F’in MURDERED the @BETawards!!!! So proud of you gal:) Trey fall back on the neck piece though playa..lol”
· Monica: “WERRRRRRRK @KELLYROWLAND rhat was a phenomenal performance. The Ladies not PLAYING tonight. Love it ….”
· Sean Garrett: “Wow!!!! Congrats to @KELLYROWLAND just Mashed!!!! Congrats princess!!! Killer Performance!!”
· Rico Love: “Congrats @Kellyrowland. You deserve it all. I Love u babe!#TTLO”
· Michelle Williams: “Amen! #audiencetweetBETAwards Go Go Go Go @KELLYROWLAND! Okay bye!”
· LeToya Luckett: “KEL!!!!! Smh *drops mic & walks off stage*”
ALICIA KEYS TALKS RE-RELEASE FOR DEBUT ALBUM
To celebrate 10th anniversary of its release, Alicia Keys has put out the deluxe and collector’s edition of her debut album, “Songs In A Minor.” The project includes bonus tracks, demos, live performances and two previously unreleased songs. Be sure to purchase your copy today!
· Visit her official website to learn more about passes for the Piano & I: A One Night Only Event with Alicia Keys on June 30th at New York’s Beacon Theatre.
AMERIE MARRIES HER MANAGER
According to Rap-Up.com, Amerie and Columbia Records A&R man Lenny Nicholson held their destination wedding over the weekend. The couple exchanged vows on the island of Anguilla. The pair is currently honeymooning in a private resort bungalow.
EL DEBARGE OUT OF RE-HAB, PREPS ESSENCE FESTIVAL
According to SingersRoom.com, while in February, El DeBarge suffered a relapse of substance abuse, he has since left rehab after and is reportedly back on track. The singer is scheduled to perform at the main stage during the upcoming 2011 Essence Music Festival. The showcase marks his first concert performance in almost five months.
· Before he checked into rehab, El said in a statement, “I hate to disappoint my fans but it is necessary for me to take the time to work on me so that I may continue to share my music and my story with everyone.”
HIP HOP TWEET OF THE DAY: WALE
Before shooting his new music video, Wale took to his Twitter account to complain about the models that were cast. He wrote, “Here we go again…there is NOOOOO brown skin models to chose from AGAIN… this game is so f**ked up…I don’t even wanna do this video.” He added, “I think it’s time I start my own modeling agency ….we need some more f**king balance ….beautiful is not one shade…they got the game f**ked.”
G.O.O.D. MUSIC JOINS DEF JAM
According to HipHopDX.com, Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music has officially joined the Def Jam umbrella. The first project that will be released under the new partnership is Big Sean’s debut, Finally Famous, which is in stores now.
DJ KHALED RELEASES OFFICIAL TRACKLIST
According to HipHop-N-More.com, the tracklist for DJ Khaled’s upcoming album, We the Best Forever, has surfaced online. The 12-track project includes guest spots from Rick Ross, Plies, Lil Wayne, T-Pain and many more. Be sure to get your copy on July 19th, but you can pre-order it now via Amazon.com now.
1. “I’m On One” Feat. Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne
2. “Welcome To My Hood” Feat. Rick Ross, Plies, Lil Wayne & T-Pain
3. “Money” Feat. Jeezy & Ludacris
4. “I’m Thuggin” Feat. Waka Flocka & Ace Hood
5. “It Aint Over Til It’s Over” Feat. Mary J. Blige, Fabolous & Jadakiss
6. “Legendary” Feat. Chris Brown, Keyshia Cole & Ne-Yo
7. “Sleep When I’m Gone” Feat. Busta Rhymes, Cee-Lo & The Game
8. “Can’t Stop” Feat. Birdman & T-Pain
9. “Future” Feat. Ace Hood, Meek Mill, Wale, Vado & Big Sean
10. “My Life “Feat. Akon & B.O.B.
11. “A Million Lights” Feat. Tyga, Cory Gunz, Mack Maine, Jae Millz & Kevin Rudolf
12. “Welcome To My Hood” (Remix) Feat. Ludacris, T-Pain, Busta Rhymes, Twista, Mavado, Birdman, Ace Hood, Fat Joe, Jadakiss, Bun B, The Game & Waka Flocka
T-PAIN DROPS NEW VIDEO
According to his official fansite, T-Pain has released the visual to his new single, “Booty Work (One Cheek At a Time).” The Erik White-directed clip includes a cameo from comedian Kevin Hart as his rap alter ego, “Chocolate Droppa.” The song is off Pain’s upcoming album, rEVOLVEr, which will be released later this year.
BLACK EYED PEAS TO RELEASE VIDEOGAME
The Black Eyed Peas unveiled plans for a new videogame called The Black Eyed Peas Experience. According to AllHipHop.com, the group is working with Ubisoft to develop the game, which will feature tracks like “Boom, Boom, Pow” and “Let’s Get It Started.” The Black Eyed Peas Experience will be available for Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation 3 and is scheduled for release later this year.
· Ubisoft also developed and published Assassin’s Creed, Just Dance 3 and Michael Jackson: The Experience.
JUSTIN BIEBER WORKING ON NEW ALBUM
Justin Bieber confirmed that he is currently in the planning and recording stages for his next album. Usher’s protégé is taking time to craft a unique record, telling MTV News that his voice “is not meant for any style.” There are no set deadlines for work on the album, which Bieber hopes will be “huge.” For more, check out MTVNews.com.
TREY SONGZ TALKS BALANCING WORK AND FAMILY
If you follow Trey Songz on Twitter, you know the singer is constantly hopping on different planes and private jets to perform all over the world. Next stop on Tremaine’s busy schedule is the BET Awards, which broadcast live from L-A next month.
• The singer recently wrote, “Left Sin City and came to NY…got to NY and went to Sin City. BX what up?! Faded.”
PUSHA T TO BE ON HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA
Pusha T is really starting to make a name for himself as he’s just scored a role in HBO’s How To Make It In America. The rapper will star as a drug dealer in four episodes for the upcoming second season, which also includes Kid Cudi. No further details are known at this time.
• Aren’t you tired of rappers portraying drug dealers in movies and television shows?
NICKI MINAJ PLANS TOUR IN 2012
Nicki Minaj has announced plans to embark on her own tour next year. The outing, which is being dubbed the Pink Friday tour, will be the fem-cee’s first headlining show. According to UsMagazine.com, Nicki stated, “So this is my time to be a student and to learn and to absorb all of this information and then take that knowledge and create an amazing tour at the top of 2012.”
• Nicki will join Britney Spears’ Femme Fatale tour, which opens on June 17th. Visit Ticketmaster.com to score passes.
TINIE TEMPAH TALKS SUCCESS
Tinie Tempah scored two number one hit songs and a number one album in his native U-K when he released his debut album, Disc-Overy, overseas last fall. The 22-year-old rapper is excited about bringing his lyrical flow to the states.
“I’m really happy, it’s the first single out here, I definitely feel that my team out here is definitely worked very hard and believed in the single, and it’s just nice, because you got into a lot of radio stations, and you got into a lot of interviews, and they literally do say, what kind of English rapper can sort of crack it out here, and that’s the question I think to be faced with every single time, and it’s nice to not prove them wrong, but just show them that it can happen.”
Tinie Tempah just released his album here in the states. It debuts at number 21 on the Billboard album chart this week.
· Tinie’s debut single, “Written in the Stars,” peaked at number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and has now slipped to number 16. His next single is “Till I’m Gone,” featuring Wiz Khalifa.
DMX TO BE RELEASED FROM PRISON SOON!
DMX will reportedly be released from an Arizona corrections facility on July 1st. The rapper, who is said to be working on a new album, will be under supervision until the August 12th and then be allowed to come and go as he pleases. For just how long X stays out of trouble remains to be seen.
• The rapper is currently serving time for violating the terms of his probation.
TREY SONGZ TALKS ESSENCE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Judging by the line-up for the 2011 Essence Music Festival presented by Coca Cola, we’re confident that this will be the best of all the previous concerts. Taking place in New Orleans July 4th weekend (July 1st, 2nd and 3rd), this is an event you do not want to miss! To be a part of three unforgettable nights at the Superdome, purchase tickets via Music.Vh1.com or EssenceMusicFestival.com!
• In addition to Trey, performances on Main Stage include: Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, Jill Scott, Jennifer Hudson, Chaka Khan, Charlie Wilson, Fantasia, Boyz II Men, New Edition, who are celebrating their 30th anniversary, and many more!
KELLY ROWLAND GETS NUMBER ONE HIT
Kelly Rowland has claimed the number one spot on Billboard’s R&B/Hip-hop chart. The singer told us that even though she’s experienced success with European-inspired songs, recording “Motivation” brings her back to her roots. The cut is the first sampling of the direction of her upcoming album, Here I Am.
SWIZZ BEATZ TALKS NEW ALBUM, NEW VIDEO
Swizz Beatz sat down with MTV News to give new details about his forthcoming effort, Haute Living. The hitmaker promises that the disc, which includes contributions from John Legend, Jay-Z, and Swizz’s wife, Alicia Keys, will not disappoint. He said of the upcoming video to his single “Skyscrappers,” which features Kanye West and U2′s Bono, “It’s like an art piece.” The producer added that the visual is “like a documentary of the world as we don’t know it, but kind of know it. You know these things are going on in the world, but you don’t really know to what degree they’re going on in the world.” There’s no word on when the clip will premiere, but none of the artists will be in the video.
• The disc will be available later this year.
KELIS HAS NO REGRETS DIVORCING NAS
Now that Kelis’ divorce from Nas is finalized, the singer sat down with Attitude magazine to talk about life without her former spouse. The mother of the rapper’s child stated, “I’m not a big regret person.” She added, “I’ve been divorced, and I can still say I don’t regret it I’m a big believer that if a bad situation happens, it is a lesson that needs to be learned, just once.” The couple filed for divorce in April on 2009.
• Kelis also said during the interview, “I’m a mother and I do what I love for a living, and I have enough money to do what I want but not so much that it’s a stress. I think happiness is a momentary feeling but I’m very content. I feel really good.”
EMINEM, ROYCE DA 5’9” LEAK TRACKLIST
Eminem and Royce Da 5’9” have released the official tracklisting for Hell: The Sequel. The nine-track project includes contributions from Havoc, Bruno Mars, Slaughterhouse, Bangladesh and Mike Epps. Be sure to get your copy on June 14th.
1. “Welcome 2 Hell” – Produced by Havoc
2. “Fast Lane” – Produced by Supa Dups
3. “The Reunion” – Produced by Sid Roams
4. “Above the Law” – Produced by Mr. Porter
5. “I’m On Everything” Feat. Mike Epps
6. “A Kiss” – Produced by Bangladesh
7. “Lighters” Feat. Bruno Mars
8. “Take from Me” – Produced by Mr. Porter
9. “Loud Noises” Feat. Slaughterhouse
MIGUEL REACTS TO “SURE THING” REMIX
Unbeknownst to Miguel, Pusha T laid down guest vocals for the unofficial remix of the singer’s new single, “Sure Thing.” In related news, Miguel is up for Best New Artist for the 2011 BET Awards. Be sure to tune in June 26th when it airs live from L-A.
• Click HERE to get the remix!
FOOTAGE OF BEYONCE “SANGING” BEFORE IDOL
In case you thought Beyonce’s performance of “1+1” during American Idol was pre-taped, Jay-Z recorded footage of the singer running through the song before she took stage. Check it out and be prepared to get chills!
• The song is off her upcoming album, 4, which arrives on June 28th.
• See it HERE!
HIP HOP TWEET OF THE DAY: LL COOL J
We all could learn a lot from LL Cool J, who tends to tweet inspiration quotes from time to time. Here’s what the rap legend wrote recently: “The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them. – Unknown” Read more at Twitter.com/LLCoolJ.
JAY-Z GETS OUT OF TRAFFIC TICKETS?
Jay-Z lives above the law…well, when it comes to traffic tickets anyway. According to the New York Daily News, the rapper reportedly had cops fix tickets for him because he’s a huge rap star. The mogul joins other celebrities like A-Rod and Raymond Felton, who were able to manipulate policemen and get off easy because the cops allegedly unlawfully claimed that they “lost the paperwork.”
• TIDBIT: The Internal Affairs Bureau is currently investigating these incidents.
FLAVOR FLAV TALKS AUTOBIGRAPHY
Wanna know more about the life of Flavor Flav? The Public Enemy frontman has written an autobiography titled Flavor Flav, The Icon The Memoir, which he told us will hopefully change people’s misconceptions about him and let them see what he’s really like. Visit his official website to learn more!
• The rapper said in a statement “My life has taught me that nothing is really easy. Everything in life you want can come to you, but you really, really have to earn it and deserve it. You only get to live physically once in this lifetime, so while we are living this one time – we need to make the best of it. When we die, we become nothing but memories to other people and we want to leave them the best memories ever.”
WILL.I.AM PREPS SOLO ALBUM
According to NME.com, will.i.am is going to release a solo album. Fergie recently told Hollyscoop.com that Will has completed the effort and that it is titled Black Einstein. No word on a release date but we will keep you posted.
· Fergie said: “I believe Will is coming out with a solo album. I’ve heard it. It’s called Black Einstein and it’s amazing.”
· The Black Eyed Peas are set to take a break following some summer shows. Fergie said she is looking forward to down time and Taboo is planning to spend time with his family and newborn son, Journey.
GAGA MAY SELL CLOSE TO ONE-MILLION ALBUMS
It should come as no shock to anyone, but it seems that Lady Gaga is on pace to have a very big first week with her new album, Born This Way. According to HitsDailyDouble.com, the pop star is on track to sell close to one-million copies of the record. That would unseat Adele’s 21 from the top of the Billboard 200 chart. We’ll know the exact numbers on Wednesday.
· Around half of Gaga’s total albums sold are expected to be digital, and the fact that she’s been selling the record for just 99-cent at Amazon.com can only help things.
· Adele will move down to at least number two on the Billboard chart. Do you think she’ll be able to get back to summit again?
ADELE STILL ON TOP OF HOT 100
Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” maintains the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the third straight week. Katy Perry’s former chart-topper “E.T.” featuring Kanye West, spends a third week at number two, while Pitbull’s “Give Me Everything” featuring Ne-Yo, AfroJack and Nayer rises four notches to number three. The Black Eyed Peas’ “Just Can’t Get Enough” is up one spot to number four and Jennifer Lopez’s “On the Floor” featuring Pitbull is up one notch to number five.
LUPE, TREY SONGZ TO PERFORM AT MTV MOVIE AWARDS
We’ve just learned Lupe Fiasco and Trey Songz are confirmed to perform during the 2011 MTV Movie Awards. The artists will take stage for their first-ever televised performance together doing the rapper’s new single, “Out of My Head.” The news comes as the first batch of presenters for the show have also been announced: Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Steve Carell, Nicki Minaj, Jason Segel, Jesse Eisenberg, Aziz Ansari, Danny McBride, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Selena Gomez, Emma Stone, Cameron Diaz, Leighton Meester, Katie Cassidy, Shia LaBeouf, Patrick Dempsey and Josh Duhamel. Be sure to tune in when the Jason Sudeikis-hosted event broadcasts live on Sunday, June 5th at 9 PM Eastern.
· Lupe Fiasco said in a statement, “I’m excited to be performing on this year’s MTV Movie Awards. I’m looking forward to putting together another special performance for my fans.”
· Trey said in a statement, “‘Out Of My Head’ is such a dope song and easily one of my favorite collaborations to date. When Lupe first played the track for me I knew it was going to be a smash and I’m happy it’s been received so well. The MTV Movie Awards are such a special event and Lupe is a great performer, so I am excited to be able to do the show with him.”
· Eclipse leads the MTV Movie Awards nominees with eight nods, including one for Best Movie.
LIL WAYNE TALKS WORKING WITH JENNIFER LOPEZ
Jennifer Lopez recently told us that she knew Lil Wayne would be the perfect fit for her new single, “I’m Into You.” But just because J.Lo knew his vocals would match the Caribbean inspired song doesn’t mean Weezy initially felt the same way. You can check out the visual to “I’m Into You” via Jenny’s official website now.
· Lopez’s latest album, Love?, debuted at number five on the Billboard 200 chart. The disc sold 83-thousand units in its opening week.
LIL WAYNE TO PERFORM ON MTV2’S UNPLUGGED
Fans will be delighted to know that Lil Wayne will be featured in the newest installment of MTV2’s Unplugged music series. The rapper will likely perform classic hits as well as new material off his upcoming album, Tha Cater IV. Be sure to tune in to MTV2 Presents: Lil Wayne Unplugged when it premieres on Sunday, June 12th on MTV2, MTV and MTV.com at 9 PM Eastern and Pacific.
· Weezy’s forthcoming effort will be his ninth album to date.
TYLER THE CREATOR ALBUM PREDICTIONS
According to HitsDailyDouble.com, Tyler the Creator’s newly released album, Goblin, is on track to debut on the Billboard 200 chart with estimated sales from 45 to 50-thousand. It’s currently unknown where the Odd Future member will land in the top ten on the chart, but we’ll keep you posted when the official Nielsen SoundScan numbers are revealed next week.
KELLY ROWLAND TITLES HER NEW LP
Kelly Rowland has finally come up with a title for her forthcoming third solo album. Billboard.com reports the disc will be named Here I Am. The signer explained that she “wanted people to know that this is the record, the sound I¹ve been working toward… that here I am.” Led by her hit single, “Motivation” featuring Lil Wayne, the project will be released this fall.
· Kelly’s album will include contributions from Dr. Luke, Stargate, RedOne, Tricky Stewart, Rodney Jerkins, Jim Jonsin and Rico Love.
· The singer also said of the title, “It just connected with my heart and the music as well. It stands for everything I’ve gone through and thought about for this record as a woman. It’s very strong.”
WOULD BOW WOW DO DANCING WITH THE STARS?
Now that Romeo has been kicked off this season’s Dancing With The Stars, we are already thinking which rappers will be considered next year. While promoting his latest film, Madea’s Big Happy Family, Bow Wow gave us a quick answer to if he’d ever put on his dancing shoes for ABC’s hit show and that answer is YES! In related news, the emcee has just issued a video to his new song, “What Your Name Is.” Check it out on YouTube today.
DETAILS ON MARIAH’S LABOR
During a recent interview on Lopez Tonight, Nick Cannon spilled on what it was like being in the delivery room with his wife, Mariah Carey. The new father of newborn twins Monroe and Moroccan explained, “I just have a great, great respect for women now that I saw what they have to go through.” Cannon, who almost passed out in the hospital room, revealed that Mi Mi “was cussing in high octaves. I never heard so many cuss words so high.”
· Carey and her babies will be discharged from the hospital later this week.
SOULJA BOY TO STAR IN TUPAC BIOPIC?
First Soulja Boy announced that he’ll take Tupac’s role in the upcoming remake of Juice and now, the young rapper is looking to portray the late emcee in his biopic. SB told MTV News that he’s considering starring the Antoine Fuqua-directed flick. Before fans get all rowdy or excited about his involvement with the film, Soulja added that he’s “still thinking about it right now.” He is aware of the pressure of taking on such a daunting role and he’s just honored that he was asked to audition for it.
· Soulja will portray “Bishop” in the remake of Juice.
OMARION RELEASES NEW MIXTAPE
In case you’ve been wondering what Omarion has been up to, the former B2K lead singer has just released a new mixtape titled The Awakening. The crooner teamed with DJ Drama to host the 19-track project, which includes features from YG, Lil Wayne, Rye Rye, Method Man and many others.
· O recently told Rap-Up.com that the mixtape is “about a new beginning. It’s about a new everything. I feel refreshed from everything that I’ve been through up until now. Omarion’s a new man, Omarion’s a different person. It’s time to create new history.”
· CLICK THE COVER TO DOWNLOAD IT!
LAURYN HILL ANNOUNCES NEW TOUR DATES
Following her Bob Marley tribute on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Lauryn Hill has added new shows to her current tour, Moving Target: Extended Intimate Playdate Series. The singer will be joined by New Orleans based Hot 8 Brass Band and Q-Tip on certain dates. In addition, fans can now expect Hill to take stage during this year’s L-A Rising alongside Rage Against The Machine and Muse on July 31st in Los Angeles.
Confirmed list of new dates:
5/13 – Las Vegas, NV
5/14 – Santa Barbara, CA
5/17 – Pomona, CA
5/18 – San Francisco,
5/20 – Eugene, OR
5/22 – Seattle, WA
5/24 – Vancouver, BC
5/25 – Vancouver, BC
5/27 – Calgary, AB
5/28 – Edmonton, AB
5/30 – Winnipeg, MB
6/3 – Chicago, IL
6/4 – Detroit, MI
7/31 – Los Angeles, CA
BEYONCE PREVIEWS UPCOMING ALBUM
According to JustJared.com, Beyonce provided a private listening party for her upcoming album, 4. After previewing five new songs from the project, the diva stated, “When editing the DVD [for Beyonce: I Am... World Tour], I noticed that the tone of my voice is different live [than my recording one]. So I used that live performance tone throughout the record.” She said of the disc, “I wanted to do something refreshing and different. So I mixed genres and drew inspiration from touring, traveling, watching rock bands, and attending festivals… I was like a mad scientist, putting lots of different songs together.” You can check out reviews from the songs that were played via JustJared.com now.
KATY PERRY MAKES BILLBOARD HISTORY!
Katy Perry is the first artist in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 chart to spend an entire year in the top 10. On the chart released yesterday on Billboard.com, “E.T.,” featuring Kanye West falls from the top spot to number two, after five weeks at the top of the chart, giving Perry an unprecedented full year lodged in the chart’s top ten. All four of Perry’s singles off her platinum Teenage Dream album have gone to the top of the Hot 100 chart.
NEW MICHAEL JACKSON ALBUM!
The anticipated album of newly completed recordings from Michael Jackson titled Michael will be released on December 14th. Right now, you can hear a teaser for the project at MichaelJackson.com. Starting Monday, the world premiere of “Breaking News,” a full track from the album, will stream on the site for one week only. Before his sudden death in June 2009, Jackson was writing and recording songs continuously everywhere from a friend’s home in New Jersey to studios in Las Vegas and Los Angeles with a small group of handpicked collaborators.
LIL WAYNE’S FIRST TWEET AFTER PRISON STINT
Just hours after being released from Riker’s Island on Thursday morning, DJ Scoob Doo posted a Twitpic of Lil Wayne enjoying a cigar near his laptop with a glass of wine. The rapper tweeted to his 890-thousand plus followers: “aaaaaaahhhhhhmmmmm baaaaakkkkkkkkkk!” Be sure to visit MTV.com for a full breakdown of what Wayne did during his first 72 hours of freedom.
SWIZZ BEATZ TO TEACH AT NYU
Swizz Beatz has just announced that he’s been appointed as the first Producer In Residence at New York University for The Clive Davis Department of Recorded Music. The hitmaker said in a statement, “I’m excited to be able to take my many years of experience in the music business and use it as an example to instruct students. The invitation from Mr. Davis is humbling and I’m honored.” Students can expect Beatz to take part in group lectures, mentoring programs and music critiques for the remainder of the semester. Nice!
T.I. TO RELEASE NO MERCY FROM PRISON
Billboard.com has learned T.I. intends to release his oft-delayed album, now titled No Mercy, while he’s incarcerated for violating the terms of his probation. The follow-up to 2008’s Paper Trail will include contributions from Chris Brown, Kanye West, Eminem, Christina Aguilera and The-Dream. The disc arrives on December 7th. In related news, Tip has served three days of his eleven month sentence inside Arkansas’ Forrest City Correctional facility.
DIDDY, NE-YO TO PERFORM AT THE AMAS
We’ve just learned Ne-Yo and Diddy–Dirty Money have been announced as performers at the 2010 American Music Awards. The entertainers join previously confirmed performers including Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Christina Aguilera, Bon Jovi, P!nk and Usher. Viewers will be able to watch the event live from Los Angeles when it airs on ABC Sunday, November 21st at 8 PM.
REAL RICK ROSS DROPS CASE AGAINST RICK ROSS
We’ve just learned the multimillion dollar lawsuit filed by “Freeway” Ricky Ross against rapper Rick Ross has reportedly been dismissed. The convicted felon was looking to win ten-million dollars for trademark infringement since Rozay allegedly used his name without consent and gained significant profits. AllHipHop.com confirms the there is still a chance for Freeway to appeal the decision. We’ll keep you updated!
GUCCI’S CHARGES GET DROPPED
According to the Associated Press, Gucci Mane has reportedly been cleared of all charges filed against him stemming from his arrest on Tuesday. The rapper allegedly drove recklessly and damaged government property before being locked up in Atlanta’s Fulton County Jail. However, prosecutors have opted to drop the case for unknown reasons. We’ll keep you posted with further updates.
AKON LOVES BEING A CELEBRITY
Akon has accomplished so much since he first made a splash in the industry with “Locked Up” in 2004. Who knew he’d go on to evolve as an artist, discover new stars like Lady Gaga, introduce his clothing line, Konvict Clothing, and headline tours worldwide. He reflected on what the best part about being famous is (See Related Cuts #2 – #3). In related news, the singer is putting the finishing touches on his upcoming Stadium LP, which will arrive on November 22nd.
NEW DETAILS ON FAITH EVANS NEW FILM ROLE
SingersRoom.com has learned new information on Faith Evans taking the lead role in Blondie, the biopic about Florence Ballard, the original lead singer from The Supremes. The script will be based loosely on the book The Lost Supreme and Evans has reportedly spent time with Ballard’s family to learn more about the legendary singer. Fans can expect the Bille Woodruff-directed film to hit the big screen next summer with an accompanying soundtrack featuring Lauryn Hill, Kelly Price and others.
MARIO CLEARED OF ASSAULT CHARGE
Billboard.com reports Mario has been cleared of all assault charges for allegedly pushing his mother, Shawntia Hardaway, “eight feet into a living room wall” in their shared Baltimore apartment. Prosecutors had no choice but to drop the case after Hardaway changed her story and claimed that her son never touched her. She was under the influence of an unknown substance when she initially called the police last month. No further details are known at this time.
TREY SONGZ REMIXES KANYE’S “RUNAWAY”
Trey Songz is hard at work on a new mixtape titled #LemmeHolDatBeat. The singer, who’s notorious for making unofficial remixes, has just leaked the revamped version of Kanye West’s “Runaway.” Check out the new tune via Tremaine’s official website today!
Click HERE to hear it!
GAGA MAKES A VIDEO OF PEOPLE DRESS AS GAGA
If you went out on Halloween this year, then you almost certainly saw someone dressed up as Lady Gaga. Well the pop star asked people to send her pictures of themselves in their Gaga costumes, and she then proceeded to make a ten-minute long video of all the pics. Check out the compilation on YouTube now.
CIARA TURNING 25 YEARS OLD
On October 25th, Ciara turned 25 years old. The singer is looking forward to the release of her highly anticipated album, Basic Instinct, which will be available on December 14th.
SOULJA BOY TALKS BEING LYRICAL
In XXL’s November 2010 issue, Soulja Boy addressed why he chooses to make rap music that isn’t profoundly lyrical. As he grows as an artist so that people take him seriously, SB explained, “I don’t want to be super-Lupe-Fiasco-lyrical and n****s don’t know what the f**k I’m talking about.” Soulja just wants “to be the best” to where he’s “nominated for [a GRAMMY for] Best Rapper with Jay-Z and Kanye West and Lil Wayne.” In related news, the rapper’s upcoming album, The DeAndre Way, will be available on November 30th.
2010 MTV EMAS SET TO ROCK MADRID
This Sunday, the 2010 MTV EMAs take place live in Madrid, Spain. The annual awards show will be hosted by Eva Longoria and features performances by Kings of Leon, Linkin Park, Rihanna, Katy Perry, 30 Seconds to Mars, Kid Rock and many more. But just because the event is taking place across the pond doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy it! The 2010 MTV EMAs air on MTV2 on Sunday at 9 PM Eastern. Don’t miss it!
GAGA’S MONSTER BALL TOUR RIDER
Have you ever wondered what is on Lady Gaga’s rider while she is out on her Monster Ball tour? Well, a source tells The X magazine that the pop star demands different food and drink items, including Red Bull, Vitamin Water, dried mangos, a whole roasted chicken, honey and an oxygen tank, which she uses to preserve her voice. Learn more at ContactMusic.com.
NEW CHRISTINA SONGS FROM BURLESQUE SURFACE
According to ThatGrapeJuice.net, “Express” will be Christina Aguilera’s first single from the Burlesque soundtrack, which will arrive in stores on November 16th. The website also posted a clip from the film featuring Aguilera singing “I’m A Good Girl.” X-tina will perform a song from Burlesque on the American Music Awards, which will beam out from the Nokia Theater at LA Live on November 21st on ABC at 8 PM Eastern.