WIZ KHALIFA KICKS OFF ROLLING PAPERS TOUR
After performing during the 2011 Bonnaroo Festival, Wiz Khalifa has officially kicked off his Rolling Papers tour. Fans can expect the trek to hit major cities including Las Vegas, Houston and Orlando before wrapping on August 5th in Pontiac, Michigan. Wiz is performing tonight (6/13) at the Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati, Ohio.
· Khalifa was nominated for Best New Artist at this year’s BET Awards.
· For more information and to see a full list of tour dates, go to WizKhalifa.com.
· In addition, the 40-city trek will include special guests Big Sean, Chevy Woods and DJ Bonics.
By James Montgomery (@positivnegativ)
MANCHESTER, Tennessee - Wiz Khalifa’s Saturday evening set at theBonnaroo Music and Arts Festival was, by his own admission, probably the biggest show he’s played since bursting onto the scene last year. And feeding upon the vibes of the crowd, he delivered a set that was as loose and lively as it was hit-packed and hungry.
“I was feeling the energy the whole time, and I’ve been doing a lot of shows and growing as a performer and an artist, so I just wanted to build on all that,” he told MTV News following the performance. “Being a top act on such a huge stage in front of so many people, it’s a great starting point for my career, because a lot of people work their whole careers and then get here.”
Of course, though he was still basking in the afterglow of his Bonnaroo set, Wiz also felt the need to address an issue that (supposedly) occurred atanother of his big-stage shows: rumors of a backstage altercation with Waka Flocka Flame at Hot 97′s Summer Jam in New York earlier this month.
“Yeah, nothing happened backstage,” Khalifa said. “It’s always something; making up some rumor about something happening with me backstage during somebody’s set, but nothing happened. Me and Waka and are cool. That’s just people trying to promote negativity.”
And to hear Wiz tell it, there’s been a whole lot of that negativity going on in recent months. But, as he continues on the upswing of his young career, he’s not going to let any of it get him down. After all, there will be plenty more shows like Bonnaroo on the horizon, and he prefers to focus on that.
“There’s just so much fake sh– going on. Like, people will buy into what’s fake. According to people, this isn’t my Rolex, you know?” he said. “But that’s just what mugs like to think and what they like to talk about, but the reality of the situation is everything’s under control. And this is my Rolex. That I bought.”
YELAWOLF ANNOUNCES RELEASE DATE
According to his official fansite, Yelawolf’s upcoming album, Radioactive, will be released sooner than you think. The rapper’s debut effort on Eminem’s Shady Records is slated to arrive on September 27th.
· Yela told TheHipHopChronicle.com that his album title was inspired by a song that was recorded with Big Boi.
KELLY ROWLAND GETS A LAUNCH DATE
Lead by her Lil Wayne-assisted single, “Motivation,” Kelly Rowland recently announced the launch date for her highly anticipated album, Here I Am. The singer, who was originally eyeing a September release, has decided to drop her third studio effort on July 26th.
· The album features contributions from Rico Love, Tricky Stewart, Dr. Luke, Stargate, Salaam Remi, Jim Jonsin, RedOne, and Ester Dean.
· Her release date is almost a month after Beyonce’s 4 arrives on June 28th.
FAT JOE DROPS NEARLY 90 POUNDS
If you’ve caught a glimpse of Fat Joe recently, you’d notice that the rapper lost an impressive amount of weight. According to the NY Daily News, Joe Crack actually dropped 88 pounds and did so by exercising and eating six small meals every day. He told the site that he was inspired by his family and explained, “I can’t leave my daughter behind noted. I want to be here for her; I don’t want to die on her.”
· Since his close friend, Big Pun, passed away due to complications with his weight, are you surprised Joe didn’t take his health more serious sooner?
· Big Pun died of a heart attack at age 28.
RIHANNA LISTED ON FORBE’S TOP PAID UNDER 30
According to Forbes, Rihanna has landed at number ten on the Top Earners Under 30 list. If you combine the profits from tours, album sales and endorsements, the entertainer reportedly banked 29-million dollars between May 2010 and May 2011.
· Ri Ri has kicked off her Loud tour with J Cole. She tweeted about planning to re-release her latest album soon.
· Rihanna endorses Fuze Drinks and Venus Razors.
SUGE KNIGHT TO DO PETA
According to XXLMag.com, Suge Knight has agreed to be a part of a new PETA campaign. The former Death Row Records CEO will be features in several ads about anti-dog chaining. Suge said in a statement, “Dogs deserve our love and attention not a life of ‘solitary confinement’ at the end of a chain. Dogs depend on us to take care of them, to keep them safe and healthy. Chaining a dog is one of the cruelest things you can to do them – they are social animals.”
· Considering his financial struggles, do you think he got paid to do this?
STEVIE WONDER INDUCTED INTO APOLLO HALL OF FAME
To acknowledge all of his accomplishments in music, Stevie Wonder will reportedly be inducted into the Apollo Theater’s Hall of Fame. The singer will be recognized during the sixth Annual Spring Gala Benefit Concert on Monday in Harlem. The legendary performer joins previous inductees Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Patti LaBelle and Quincy Jones.
· If you’d like to attend, score passes via email ApolloSpringGala@jksevents.com or call 212-380-8946.
· Stevie will be celebrated with performances by Wyclef Jean, Yolanda Adams, Melanie Fiona, Raphael Saadiq and many more.
RICK ROSS TO PERFORM AT TUPAC BIRTHDAY CONCERT
We’ve previously told you what entertainers are scheduled to perform at what would have been Tupac’s 40th birthday party. Rick Ross has just joined the line-up and will showcase the hit song, “Tupac Back,” alongside Meek Mill. The pair will join previously confirmed artists including Erykah Badu, Bun B., 8 Ball, MJG, Too $hort and DJ Drama. The celebration, which will be hosted by comedian Mike Epps, will take place on June 16th at the Atlanta Symphony Hall in ATL.
· “Tupac Back” is lifted from Maybach Music Group Presents Self-Made, Volume 1.
· Badu said in a statement, “I am greatly honored to have been invited by Afeni Shakur to celebrate her son’s 40th birthday. I do not take this honor for granted.”
· Mike Epps said in a statement, “I’m looking forward to another year of preserving Tupac’s legacy by celebrating his life with his fans and furthering his causes by supporting his organization.”
J RANDALL DROPS NEW SINGLE WITH T-PAIN
J Randall has released a new single called “Can’t Sleep” featuring T-Pain. The Florida-based singer scored hits with “Ooo La La” with Akon and “Spirit of Radio,” which was featured on the Step Up 3-D soundtrack.
· J Randall has scored almost two-million views on YouTube.
LADY GAGA TOPS SOCIAL 50 CHART YET AGAIN
Lady Gaga tops this week’s Social 50 chart again. Rihanna climbs two spots to number two, thanks to her controversial music video for “Man Down.” Justin Bieber, Shakira and Akon round out the top five. Linkin Park leaps eight spots to number 25, while Jennifer Lopez drops 12 spots to number 28.
· The Social 50 ranks the most active artists on the world’s leading social networking sites including YouTube, Vevo, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and others.
AND HERE’S A BONUS VIDEO FOR MY WEST LA, PRIUS & ORGANIC EATIN FOLKS!